Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Watching the Fog

A little photographic story. Forgive my melodrama.

11:18am
I am on Signal Hill taking photos of the fog. I can hear the fog horn at Fort Amherst below. There is little wind but I can see the fog moving closer.
11:22am
I turn right towards the city. The mild temperatures the past 2 days has melted snow and that is causing a foggy haze to hang over the city. The Queen's Battery on Signal Hill is almost devoid of snow, the high winds means not much snow stays up here even when there is a lot of snow everywhere else in the city.

11:26am
I turn back towards the ocean. The fog is getting closer. The fog horn is still sounding every few seconds. It echoes in the still air.
11:27 am
I look down the cliffs of Signal Hill. The waves are pounding the rocks and the fog is hugging the hill. I can feel the air getting colder as the fog drifts up towards me.

11:28am
I look back at Fort Amherst. The fog bank is rolling over it, almost obscuring the lighthouse. I can't see very far.
11:29am
I turn to my left to take a photo of Cabot Tower before the fog envelopes it.
11:31am
A quick look to my right shows the fog slowly overtaking the city. It glides in along the hills and lies low over the buildings. A break in the clouds shows blue sky but it cannot penetrate the thick fog below.

11:33am
I turn back towards the ocean to see how close the fog is. I cannot see a thing. I can still hear the fog horn, I can still hear the waves pounding the cliffs below. There is a stillness in the air as the fog surrounds me. My eyes seem blurry and I blink to clear them but it is not my eyes, it is the fog. I look all around me. Everything has disappeared, the ocean, the city, even Cabot Tower which is not far from where I am standing. The fog fills my senses and I stand there, alone.

5 comments:

Jo said...

Love it! Awesome pics and keep up the melodrama! I love it when the fog rolls in quickly, it looks so neat.

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great photos. I found your site as I was searching for some images of the St. John's Regatta for an illustration project that I am working on, a children's book based on the regatta. Love your pics and have bookmarked your blog and site to reference further.

Salt Lake Sugar said...

lovely, truly amazing. Thank you for sharing.

nadinebc said...

Ok, I am now providing a link t this post...too cool for words...