Saturday, April 07, 2007

Sharp Shinned Hawk









This afternoon I looked out the window to the back garden and saw this hawk sitting on top of a shrub. I called for Joe to come see and I started taking pictures of it through the window. I took dozens of photos and was hoping to get some pictures of it flying away. I got Joe to open the door to the deck in hopes of getting that but it didn't fly away. Then I opened the window and it still didn't fly away. So I took more pictures, this time through the open window. All of my pictures looked the same and I still thought it would be cool to get a picture of it flying so we got my book of bird calls and started pressing the button for different hawk calls. The hawk still didn't move! I thought the sounds of the birds would make it fly away. It would turn it's head but not much more than that. Then I thought I would walk out on the deck, thinking that for sure it would fly away. I went out on the deck and was leaning over the railing taking pictures of it, I was only about 6 feet away from it. It stayed there for the longest time and I got dozens of really close pictures of it. Eventually it did fly away but I was very pleased with the photos I got, this is the closest I have ever been to a hawk.

7 comments:

talj said...

wow!! Fantastic set of shots!! You were so close! Wonderful detail and each image is so sharp! I am not surprised you are pleased with these, they are great!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Great shots. I like'em. There is a hawk that lives in the park, near me, but I can never catch him sitting still.

puzzled p said...

What a cool opportunity!! Great story about trying to get him to fly away ... I can't believe you were so close to him, I'm so jealous! The pictures are just amazing, Karen. Really nice!!

Kekiinani said...

These are just some awesome shots. How cool that you were able to get soooo close. You captured wonderful detail in all of the images. :) :)

Unknown said...

Wow, these are awesome! You must have a steady hand or used a fast shutter speed because the sharpeness is spot on.

Corey Ford said...

nice!!!!what a chance....you got really lucky with the hawk staying around, nice set of pictures it must have been fun getting so many pictures and the opportunity to get close......cool!!

C. Parrot said...

Fantastic shots, Karen!

The pictures look as if they could breathe :o)